Saturday, October 5, 2013

Perfect and Complete, Lacking Nothing

Oh, there are no sweeter words that have entered my ears and have been seen with my eyes than: 


"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."   James 1:2-4

The past few weeks the Lord has been gracious to work in my life through His Word and through the Spirit. Even as I now write, indescribable emotions fill my heart. I read this text first because I was preparing to teach the discipleship class I am leading this fall. I read it almost a week before just so that the Lord could begin teaching me from His words. Never (even though I should) did I expect that those words would be more fitting now than ever before in my life. 

As I first started meditating over it, the Lord reminded me of how I often feel so incomplete, not good enough, not perfect (obviously), ever feeling like if I could only do more. I read the words over again "that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." The Lord reminded me of the many times I had felt his presence while reading this passage, but never focused on verse 4. That night I found great comfort in knowing that He is actively at work in every single thing he allows in my life. Why? So that I may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. Please do not mistake this for self-centeredness, as I know all too many times we as Christians make the Gospel about ourselves. It's not. However, this work is an effect that the Gospel has on a sinner's life. I know that because of Christ's coming, dying, and raising again, God is working out His purpose in those He has redeemed in Christ. These words were with me when I lay my head down on the pillow and when I rose in the morning. It brought an incredible sense of peace and joy in my life that was renewed in God's faithfulness to His own. And for that I'm so thankful.

I had no idea, however, that He would be guiding me to this passage for so many more reasons that I had not foreseen.

On Saturday we went to see my cousin Nicky, who has been fighting cancer for sometime now. Earlier in the week we had gotten word that the outlook was not good, and Saturday was the first time our family could all get together and go. As we visited with the family, my uncle shared of how they had heard stories of a neighbor sharing Christ with Nicky and Nicky reassuring them that she was right with the Lord. This, as it would any believer's heart, encouraged them. It encouraged me. There was a lot of silence and thinking going on as Michael and I drove home down Franklin Blvd. Finally, I looked over at Michael and recited James 1:4 "and let steadfastness have its full effect so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing." I continued, but all I could say was, "Those are such sweet words." Those were certainly not very deep thoughts, but it was all I could get out. I got silent again and stared out the window. My eyes were full of tears and then the Lord began to speak again. As many who read will know, my popaw was killed in a car accident almost exactly a year ago. I felt the Spirit repeat, "that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." The Lord had determined his days and I know that he is now perfect and complete, lacking nothing. Why bring up my popaw, you may be wondering? Because I could also hear my Aunt Dale saying, "I just don't think it's quite time." 

Neither I nor anyone else will know what was going on in Nicky's heart and mind the days that she struggled through this disease. We will never know what happened in those days that she labored through the trials of cancer from Saturday through Wednesday when she went on to be with the Lord, but what I do know is that God's Word says that "we should consider it pure joy when we meet trials of various kinds, for we know that the testing of our faith produces steadfastness." And that we should "let steadfastness have its full effect, that we may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing." I know that in those last days as she was persevering through those final days in her trial, He was working out her faith so that she would be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

Praise be to our gracious God who is intimately involved in the lives of His own so that they may be found perfect and complete, lacking nothing. I am so thankful for a loving and merciful God that uses our trials for His glory. ~soli Deo gloria







No comments: