Monday, June 9, 2014

Thankfulness in the Midst of Struggle

I'd be lying if I said we weren't struggling right now. Our hearts are often heavy. Our eyes are weary. I watch my husband work endless hours days and nights. Our future is uncertain, but I'm thankful.

I'm thankful for this uncertainty. I'm thankful that the Lord has used this uncertainty to expose how sinful my heart is, how dependent I want to be on myself and my husband, and how, when left with nothing more than my impure thoughts, I'm forced to go back to the cross and surrender.

My heart is refreshed with these echoing words in my heart:

"Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to Thy cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless, look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly, --
Wash me, Savior, or I die!"   ~ Rock of Ages

As we anticipate the arrival of our daughter in the next few days, we are humbly thankful for this gift of grace that he's given to us. We are thankful that he has entrusted to us the greatest ministry we could have - in our home, raising our daughter to be a true worshiper of the One true God. We are grateful for the opportunity to pray for her - to pray that the King of all the universe would make her heart his own, to pray for her a godly husband (yes, we've been praying this), and to pray that she would be used by God in mighty ways.

In light of one of the biggest changes we may ever face in our lives coming any day now, we rest in our sovereign Creator who does all things well and so that His glory would be known over all the earth. So despite the uncertainty that lies elsewhere in our lives, we will rejoice and choose to rest in our good God who is intimately involved with His creation.

Yes, nothing in my hands I bring, simply to the cross I cling.

May God hide us behind the cross as He acts mightily in our lives and in the lives of those around us.


No comments: